Hi, I just wanted to share about how I made Pollution.
It is an emotional piece I made with mixed media on 80x100 canvas. Pollution is as its name indicates, is about the wast contamination that harms our world. It is an artwork that is very present, and since it is abstract, it gives you endlessly ways to interpret its mysterical script.
First, I had my atelier cover up with protection, especially on the floor where the painting would use most of it`s time.
I started out laying a primer and an overlay layer of diffused colors WHICH I`ve already chosen as my basics. I then had some acrylics mixed up with water and alcohol, and had the mix poured over the canvas.
I did the pouring technique two times, and it used around 8-10 hours to dry each time, based on the different amounts of media that I used in the mix. The layers of paint would either be poured next to each other, or on top of one another. Pouring fluids on top of another wet fluid will cause them to melt together and the outcome will depend on the amount of strenght in your fluid.
I think the drying process is quiet beautiful because you get to see how the painting lives and expands while drying.
Since this pouring technique is reliant of drought, it is extremely important to know how to influence the draft by using both thin and thick amounts of fluids.
When I know I am going to paint a liquid painting, I usually set up my atelier to be enriched by space and secure paths so that I can move around easily. I like to use time in between the drying session to disturb the movements of the fluids, either making them stop moving or moving the paint in a new direction.
At some point, I completely lost my direction, and then a white POSCA marker came to the rescue!
When Pollution was almost dry, I had the top layer fixated with some acrylic and oil corrections. I felt satisfied with the color paths but I felt something was missing, and I was certain that painting a new layer would spoil the artwork.
Then I remember something similar I did to another work ( Waterdragon from collection 365 ), where I used acrylic markers to carv intentional patterns. Maybe this was the missing part ?
So I did this.
Someone screengrabbed my Instagram Story and made the artwork alive.
I had a few positive reactions on my pouring-experiment.
It was also a test of patience.
I would mark whenever I had spare time,
I would mark whenever I had no time,
I would mark whenever I watched television,
And I would mark whenever I was supposed to be asleep!!
I am not sure how many hours I spent on marking Pollution, but I know it took more time than I had expected.
Pollution at Exhibition 365
I had even more reactions on this work.
I had it pre-booked in advance before my exhibition and it was already sold before public display.
Those attending my mysterybox contest had Pollution as one of it favourites, written on the participation notes!
Finishing Pollution was really an achievement!
I hope you liked this fairytale about how I made this piece of abstract art! I know I enjoyed making this and I hope you enjoy watching me produce artwork.